When you feel like chocolate cake… Bake!
All last week I was really feeling like some chocolate cake so I finally gave in and decided to do some baking! This cake is really tasty and I used the same chocolate sponge recipe that I made Amelia’s birthday cake with (here)
For The Cake: (Per 20cm round cake tin)
- 280g Butter
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 c
- Line your 25cm tin THREE times with baking paper – this will stop the edges from burning – and it really does work!?
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder then whisk in the eggs.
- Put the mixture into the tins and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
The ingredients and method above is for just one 20cm tin. I used two tins so doubled the mixture but if you want a smaller sandwich cake just do this for one tin and cut the cake in half then sandwich back together with the buttercream.
Ingredients for the buttercream icing:
- 300g Unsalted Butter
- 675g Icing Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- 1.5 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until it becomes soft and creamy.
- Sift the icing sugar over butter and stir it in.
- Add the milk and vanilla essence then beat all of the ingredients until buttercream is pale and creamy.
This made more buttercream than I actually needed so I spread the standard vanilla buttercream to sandwich the cakes together then added cocoa powder to the remaining mixture for a chocolate buttercream frosting around the outside and top of the cake. I then decorated with a pack of Cadburys mixed chocolate buttons.
Thanks for reading! Enjoy!