I really love home baking, but this time I thought I would give some cooking a go rather than using store bought meals or meals that require minimal energy. I’ve decided to start on a yummy and very simple Toad In The Hole recipe.
This recipe serves 4.
- 8/10 pork sausages
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 225g plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 250ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ Gas mark 6.
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a baking dish, and arrange the sausages over it in a single layer.
- Bake sausages for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Whilst the sausages are cooking, whisk together the flour, eggs and half of the milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the rest of the milk until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sausages from the oven, and ladle the batter over them until the sausages are 3/4 covered.
- Return to the oven, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the centre is risen and browned. Don’t worry if the underside seems slightly soft, as this is normal.
I served the Toad In The Hole with mash potato, peas and gravy which was super yummy! Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a good picture because Jack was so hungry!
I would love to make some more meals from scratch but it isn’t the easiest when Jack is super fussy and doesn’t eat veg, furry, rice, pasta or basically anything!!
Please share if you give this recipe a go yourself 🙂