Books have always been a big part of my life and when I get the chance now I still love to read. Thankfully, Amelia and Max both have the same love for books and will happily spend the day flicking through their books and being read to. The shelves in our house overflowing! World Book Day is a brilliant way to help children that aren’t as keen on reading to find a new love for books and a chance for all of the bookworms out there to fall even more in love with the millions of fantastic books out there.
Whether you’re the parent that loves to hand make costumes or one that rushes to the shops to find the perfect outfit, I’ve selected some of the best and most popular characters for your little one/s to dive right into world book day!
The Tale Of Peter Rabbit
The adventures of Peter Rabbit and friends is very loved in our house. With the brand new upcoming film release, these would be the perfect outfit ideas for any Peter and Jemima and Lily fans.
Alice In Wonderland
When I was in primary school we had a summer production of Alice In Wonderland and that’s when I really feel in love with the story – and I played the Cheshire Cat!
- Alice – F&F @ Tesco
- Mad Hatter – George @ Asda
- White Rabbit – George @ Asda
- Queen of Hearts – TU @ Sainsbury’s
- Tweedle Dee – F&F @ Tesco
This would be a great costume choice for any child that loves the older and more recent Paddington Bear films.
- Paddington Bear – George @ Asda
Roahl Dahl has such a brilliant collection of books for children, I’m busy hunting down the whole collection for when Amelia and Max are old enough to really appreciate them. My favourite costume is the Matilda dress. The pattern around the bottom is really beautiful!
- Matilda – F&F @ Tesco
- James & The Giant Peach – F&F @ Tesco
- Fantastic Mr Fox – George @ Asda
- The BFG – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Willy Wonka – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Golden Ticket – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Augustus Gloop – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Veruca Salt – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Violet Beauregard – George @ Asda
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Oompa Loompa – George @ Asda
I’m not afraid to admit that I am a complete Potterhead! I read the books every year since I first got them at around 9/10!
- Gryffindor/Harry Potter – George @ Asda
- Slytherin/Draco Malfoy – George @ Asda
- Ravenclaw – George @ Asda
- Hufflepuff – George @ Asda
The World Of David Walliams
I haven’t actually had any experience with David Walliams’ series but have heard they’re really great. I would like to get the whole collection, the characters sound really funny.
- Mr Stink – George @ Asda
- Gangsta Granny – F&F @ Tesco
- Billionaire Boy – George @ Asda
- Awful Auntie – George @ Asda
- Burt’s Ratburger – George @ Asda
Another classic series from my childhood, and yes I also have the whole collection of Horrid Henry ha ha.
- Horrid Henry – George @ Asda
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Wizard Of Oz
- Dorothy – George @ Asda
- The Cat In The Hat – TU @ Sainsbury’s
Little Red Riding Hood
- Little Red Riding Hood – F&F @ Tesco
- Peter Pan – George @ Asda
I’m really excited for World Book Day, and although my children don’t actually go to school or nursery I’m still planning on having a book themed day with them at home and getting really into acting it out and getting them having fun dressing up. We also love to bake and craft so some of this will most likely be on the cards too!
Are you and your children all set for book day this year? What are your children’s favourite characters and/or books? We’d love to know below!